Contributors

Monday, May 18, 2009

Papa Moe

I was very close to my grandpa. When he died my freshman year of high school I was a wreck, but I pushed all those feeling away thinking I'd never have to deal with them. Well, I'm living with my Uncle Keni and Auntie Maile for the summer and my uncle and I had a discussion. It gave me insight to our family and to my grandpa's life. And I think I should write a little about this man who means so much to me.
I spent a lot of time with my grandpa. He and I would go to the park to feed the birds singing songs the whole time. We'd play card games, but he always cheated! He came to almost every sports game. When he babysat my sisters and I he would turn off all the lights and chase us around the house saying he was the boogeyman. Growing up he was my best friend. I remember waking up in the middle of the night to get a glass of water and he and my dad would be playing cards in the kitchen. They'd be so into their game that they wouldn't hear me rustling around in the fridge. I'd get my water a sit down at the table just to watch them talk smack after winning a hand or curse under their breath when one was lost. My dad always tried to get me to go back to bed, but my grandpa would grab me and let me sit on his lap until I fell asleep.
He would always tease me and I can still hear his gut busting laugh. One thing he always made sure I knew was that he loved me. In the end when I think about him that always sticks out in my mind. He loved in his actions, not so much his words. His hugs were the best.
I miss him more than I'd like to admit, but I know I'll see him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment